The foundation Students4Sustainability (S4S) is a student organization with the goal of motivating TU Delft students to apply innovative technologies in real life, thus facilitating the transition to a more sustainable world. With 100% of the money received from our donators, we give students the opportunity to make a difference by setting up technical projects in developing countries.
We live in a time of large changes: The world population continuously grows, and the climate is changing at an unprecedented rate. Sustainable technologies could provide a way to battle against the consequences hereof.
The mission of S4S is to stimulate sustainability on different levels, on a small scale as well as worldwide. S4S wants to inform and inspire students about the possibilities that sustainable technologies have to offer, by organizing activities such as lectures and workshops. This way, students are challenged to think outside the box and generate new ideas of how their knowledge can be put into practice.
Subsequently, S4S can offer these students the chance to realize their ideas on a global scale in the form of a development project. On the one hand by offering them financial support, on the other hand by sharing experience and knowledge. This way, the growing gap between Western countries and developing countries can be overcome.
Our last update of our project in Johannesburg! After three months of working on the digester we are (almost) done with the project. The last weeks we’ve worked hard to ensure that the continuation of the project will be smooth by handing over reports and information to PEET’s (an institute from the University of Johannesburg that works on similar projects).
Since our last update a lot has happened. In that update we wrote we were in Thakurdwara, the village where the gate of the National Park is situated. We also wrote that we were making adjustments to the test site in the National Park, where mice broke the cables of the camera system and the fence was to be rebuilt. We completed both within the planning of 1 week since our arrival in Thakurdwara on January 3rd.
The main part of our new product is finally finished because the mould made perfectly produced pieces! The employees could start making many differently coloured pieces with the installed pulley system, which we made to reduce the effort of lifting the heavy moulds. From this moment we started focusing on the fitting again.